I heard news today that another friend of mine is pregnant.
So I decided to talk about my biological clock. Or rather, my lack thereof.
My daughter is six-years-old. I had her very young, three days before I turned eighteen. When I got engaged, I was insistent that I'd only marry someone who wanted to have a child later on. But now....
It's not that I don't love Bean. I do. More than anything. And it's not that I don't think kids are wonderful. Because they really are.
But I'm at the point now where Bean is tying her own shoes. She's getting her own snacks from the fridge. She's slept through the night for years, and that's been without a nightlight. She doesn't depend on me for every moment of entertainment. And I feel like I've regained a little... what? Freedom, maybe? That sounds bad, though. She's self-sufficient, and she's more her own person every day.
I hold my friends' infants, and I love the way they smile, the way they grab my finger in their tiny fists, and I love the way they smell. And for a day or two I'll think, "Maybe it'd be nice to have another baby one day." But I enjoy sleeping through the night. I'm happy that I don't spend all of my money on diapers and formula and clothes and daycare and pediatrician visits. If not at peace with it, I am tolerant most days of my mommy figure. Sometimes I'd even say I'm comfortable with it. I don't miss crying and fretting about my post-childbirth body. I enjoy having money to take Bean to the dinosaur museum or to go out with Steve to dinner.
Maybe it's selfish. Maybe I'll change my mind one day.
But there will be no serious discussion about even the possibility until our lives/finances are at a place where we feel we'd be "okay". And if we get to a certain age, and that's still not happening, then we have to just be fine with missing that window of opportunity.
Here's the thing, though. I'm perfectly okay if I NEVER have another child. I really am. And sometimes I think something is wrong with me because I don't long for that the way a lot of women do. And I sort of feel like a phoney or a jackass. Because being a careless teenager, I got what so many women can't have but want so desparately, and at the time, I didn't see the gift that I had.
When Bean is eighteen, I will be thirty-six. THIRTY-SIX! It used to seem so old and far away, but the closer I get, the more I realize how young I'll be still. And that's plenty of time to persue so many of the things I put on hold. I'm scared that if I got pregnant tomorrow, that I would resent the baby, resent the whole situation. And that makes me feel selfish. Again with the selfish.
But it's not enough to make me want to have another baby. I figure we'll just concentrate all of our efforts to Bean and really just enjoy her (not that people with more than one child don't enjoy them all... I know they do).
Wednesday, February 28, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
You know what? It's totally okay to feel the way you do. Totally, completely, 100% okay.
You are a great mom and Bella is a great kid. That's all that matters.
I think its bloody brilliant that you know what you want and are happy with that. I bet there are millions of woman that wish they could know what they want from life. I think its great that you are happy with your life and Bean. Plus if your feelings ever did change you are young enough to do it again, blimey woman nowadays are having babies at 36.
I am at a crossroads in my life as my little guy is going to kindergarten and I want another but and a big but at that its such a hard decision to come to.
Sorry if I have gone on to long. Yawnnnnnn
Take care and I hopped over from That Chick over there.
I'm sure you know Liam was meant to be an only child. I had full plans on that being the case with no "maybe another later" in my mind (though it was in Josh's). I don't think there's anything wrong with me so surely there's nothing wrong with you. ;)
I've NEVER had that maternal longing. That desperate need. That see a baby and want to reproduce immediately. When we decided to have Liam it was logical, well thought out, and planned. I knew what I wanted and I did it (eventually. good cod kid made me wait long enough). Even after him I never had the BABY longings again. I love my son. I love being a mom. But some people really ARE designed to be a mom of one! (I just hope I prove myself wrong and can be a good mom of two since, you know, I have 30 days or less to get it together. lol)
But what was I saying? Oh yeah. You're normal. So there. xoxo
Post a Comment