Visit the Meatout 2005 Website!

Monday, July 30, 2007

Amazed

Some days I'm amazed at my ability to not be a smartass. And every trip to the grocery store is like a test of my will power. I'm not joking. I think I'm being tempted to be snarky by having these people so deserving of the snark placed right in my path, just to see if I can withstand the pressure to laugh, snort, chortle, or roll my eyes.

Ah, the grocery store.

Yesterday, I was going through the refrigerated juice section, and there was a family of five standing around their cart. Three grown children, and the parents.

I probably wouldn't have noticed them if they hadn't been standing exactly where I needed to be.

Anyway. The son was holding up the generic orange juice, and he said, "It says the orange juice is from concentrate. That's not good. We shouldn't get this because they add all this other stuff to the concentrate, and it's just not that good for your body."

That alone is not reason enough to make me pause.

But the fact that their cart was stacked high with soda, Hamburger Helper, chips, and white bread made me do a double take.

I don't care what these people eat. Or drink. Or freebase. I just thought it was a little odd... and silly... to worry about juice from concentrate as opposed to freshly-squeezed when there's so much other over-processed crapola in their cart.

So I excused myself, squeezed past them, grabbed my gallon of OJ from concentrate, and went on my way.

5 comments:

M said...

This stuff cracks me up. I admit to being an inner snark in grocery stores too. It's really really hard not to when there's silliness like that.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Oh the irony!

That Chick Over There said...

Love it.

Jocelyn said...

Maybe the boy was taking his first steps towards rebellion: trying to eat well in a crap-eating family!

Sidetracked Home Executive said...

Thats so funny, I would probably think the same way as you but then I have been guilty of buying skim milk and a big block of chocolate, lol.