Even as an omni, I never understood replacing 'Thanksgiving' with 'Turkey Day'.
The past few years I've tried really hard to make sure that my focus on Thanksgiving is about taking a step back, looking at my life, and really being thankful for all the things I take for granted. I'm grouchy today, so I'm not doing that right now. In fact, I just sat on the phone and bitched with my mom about the incessant football monopoly that has taken over not only the television at my house, but also the computer.
Anyway.
I think it's kind of sad that instead of taking personal inventory and trying to think about everything we have that's right and good, Thanksgiving is an excuse to stuff ourselves silly. Think about it. It's become a holiday that surrounds a meal. Not just a meal, but a turkey.
It's probably easier for me to be self-righteous about it, though, since the past couple of years I've had to make an entire meal for myself at these family get-togethers. The holiday CAN'T be about bonding over a turkey anymore (and actually, thinking about it has me a little queasy). So it really has become about spending time with the people I love and being thankful that we CAN all be together (even if they're eating turkey).
It still irritates me when I get emails and text messages that read: "Gobble, gobble, happy Turkey Day!" Seriously, folks, just leave me off of the fucking mass email next year.
But I am thankful to be remembered. :)
Monday, November 26, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment