I have always kind of felt like I don't fit in one way or another. I've always felt kind of awkward and out of place. I still do, sometimes.
Lately, it's been overwhelming, and I've all but shut myself off completely from anyone not related to me. I don't get together with my Quinn's friends, didn't go to the holiday party, I put my headphones in during my day job and just tune everyone out.
I think a lot of it has to do with mothering. When my daughter was small, none of my friends had kids. And they didn't want to hang out anymore, really, because I was suddenly in another class. I didn't belong. And we lacked things in common. And the women I would run into who did have little ones my age were usually older, and they didn't really want much to do with having a teenage mother as a friend.
Now that my daughter is older, and I'm pretty sure I'm done having babies (yes, I realize I only have one child), all of my friends are having babies. Or they have very young children. And I feel... irrelevant. Not that I don't matter to them. But when I give advice or talk about my experiences (to try and find a common topic), I wonder if they think, "Well, that was AGES ago. It's hardly relevant now."
And I still don't feel like I fit with my childless friends because even though my daughter is older, I'm not childless. We have completely different life paths, and I feel so out of touch.
I feel like my friends are becoming members to a club that I was kicked out of when my Bean started kindergarten.
Monday, February 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
:(
I always have felt like we have a lot in common, even though I don't have a kid. I wish we lived closer to each other so we could hang out "in real life" and go out for coffee and stuff.
xoxo
OMG me too. All the mothers of kids who are my kids age are like, in their mid 40's. All my friends my age have infants and 2 year olds.
It sucks ass. ASS I SAY.
I'm so sorry you feel that way.
HUGS
I'm sorry too, and am giving myself a bit of a kicking for being so cheerily oblivious.
Post a Comment