There is an old homeless guy who sits on the corner of Pikes Peak and Tejon all the time. Every time I show up for work and round the corner to the pub, he's sitting on the bench asking for change.
A couple of weeks ago, I had a whole dollar. And I gave it to him because, really, I didn't need the dollar to pay for parking since I was paid up. And I like being able to do something nice for someone else when I can. It's winter, it's fucking cold as hell some days, and a cup of coffee (or gin, whatever) goes a long way to keeping someone warm when they have no place to go.
Last week, as I was approaching his bench, he was asking someone if they could spare a dollar, and they said no. Then he turned to ask me. I told him, "I don't have ANY money, I'm sorry."
And as I walked away, he said, "NOone has a DOLLAR to spare today. NOone has ANY change."
Excuse me, old man, but I most certainly do not have any money to give you. Why do you think I'm coming to work? Because I need to make money. I have, like, three pennies and 10 pesos. I can give you the pesos, but it wouldn't get you very far. I am not lying. I have nothing. Besides, I don't even think I got a 'thank you' last time I gave you a dollar. And now you're giving me attitude? AAAAACK!
I usually have a really tender heart for the homeless and/or disabled people in this city. But that.... really rubbed me the wrong way. I have a kid who I have to feed, clothe, and house. I cannot always give these guys money. Can.not.
Tuesday, March 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Ungrateful people piss me the hell off.
Word.
Post a Comment