So I'm looking out my office window (yes, I'm blogging from work, but I'm caught up, so I'm allowed), and it's snowing. When I walked in, co-worker was all, "Isn't this great? Is it a relief for Hubs?"
Actually, no. It's not. It's snowing here, but out at Hubs' job, it's still dry as a bone. Their lake is completely drained. They don't know when they'll get water next. If it doesn't rain by tomorrow, we're kind of screwed.
Let me explain why. When you are growing new grass, when the grass seed is germinating, it MUST stay wet regularly. Or it dies. It dies, and you have to start over. Hubs' lake at work ran out of water the night before last. So, all of this snow I see out my window right now doesn't mean shit if it doesn't happen out where my husband works.
I actually just spoke to him. Since I hit the 'enter' key to make a new paragraph. Some dark clouds are rolling in, so my fingers are crossed. And my toes.
Even if it does rain, I am so livid with his job's new owners and managment company. They've been putting the cart before the horse for nearly a year. They've been making elaborate plans for a clubhouse and restaurant, and not looking at the big picture. The big picture being, if there is no golf course, there will be no restaurant. (So, I gave it away. Hubs works at a golf course, and they've been re-designing/rebuilding it for nearly a year.)
Hubs' best friend (and boss) has tried to tell these people over and over and over that the leaking lake is a HUGE problem when that is the source of all the water they use for the greens. Finally, they broke it down like this: "No one will want to buy expensive homes on a dead golf course that they can't use that has a dried up, stinky nasty lake!"
You see, the new owners are developers. They are the most evil of the evil. When they were being told, "Hey, we can't water in greens with no water", they didn't care. They didn't take any action knowing that these guys who have worked so hard all this time (Hubs has been there for 10 years, almost) were going to get laid off. The lightbulb only turned on when they realized that they'd lose tons of money. The golfcourse is secondary to them. The homes they'll build are primary. The golfcourse is a plus because they can sell the overpriced homes for even more money, they'll get richer, they can afford a third Bentley, and an even newer set of tits for their wives.
The owners/managers told the guys to get estimates on what it would cost to line the lake with PVC or whatever. $600k. And they can't do it until winter when the ground is at its hardest. They also got an estimate for a chemical they can put in that water to slow the leakage, and it will work about 60% better than what is happening right now. $98k. So, obviously, the chemical is the best option. However, there is no fucking water to put the fucking chemical in! And they don't know when they'll be able to fill the lake again! The greens could die between now and then! There's a good chance they will!
I am so tired of my husband working so hard for so little money, no one listens to him, and they get by on the skin of their teeth constantly. It's awful. And it's stressful. I'm waiting and waiting and waiting, checking my bank account every day for our 'economic stimulus package' because I'm afraid we'll have to live off of it for a while. But the IRS hasn't deposited my checks (since we owed, of course), so I don't anticipate it happening any time soon.
I don't really hate anyone, but these new owners.... I think I might hate them.
Thursday, May 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Oh, you sound so stressed out, and I feel for your husband. Behind my good thoughts for you good individuals, though, is a bit of an environmental diatribe regarding golf courses and watering any grass, anywhere, when water is such a limited resource. No news to you, though, so I'm tamping down my 12-page essay on the subject!
o.m.g. That absolutely defies belief.
Post a Comment