Visit the Meatout 2005 Website!

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Body image advice from the stars.

I was watching Maxim's Hot 100 on VH1 last night (I know, I know, why torture myself, right? I'm a glutton for punishment.). I was watching the countdown of the hottest 100 women in the world according to Maxim's experts (and by experts I mean self-important egotistical shmuck editors).

Anyway, Eva Mendez was on talking about a photoshoot she did for Maxim where where wore only a very adorable pair of boots. I was only half listening to her because I was preoccupied with pulling excess fur off of the cat before it ended up on the couch. And then I heard, "Blah blah blah, once you let go of looking perfect, blah blah blah, it's like a weight is lifted off your shoulders. Blah blah blah, more confidence, blah blah blah."

And I thought to myself, "Shut up, Eva Mendez. Of course you can say that. Saying that doesn't mean much coming from someone who is.... wait for it.... PERFECT looking. In every way. No really. Even the slight overbite is cute."

Moral of that story, I can't listen to body image advice from perfect people. They haven't a clue.

The one thing, though, that I try to remember when I'm wondering why he doesn't seem to notice the cellulite, or the deflated boobs, or the tree-trunk thighs is this: people don't see us standing perfectly still in front of them. They see us in movement. They see us walking, running, talking, laughing, playing. They don't see a statue, they see movement. And a lot of that is missed in movement. They see us as we relate to the world around us. That, at the very least, is partially comforting.

3 comments:

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I love that last paragraph. So much comfort in thinking people don't see me how I see myself standing still in front of the bathroom mirror.

In harsh natural light, no less.

Sweet thoughts. =)

Brown Eyed Girl said...

Oh Heather-----I do adore you.

I don't think Eva Mendez is perfect....but she's probably in Jeff's top 5. He loves a big butt.

Thank God otherwise I'd be screwed.

That Chick Over There said...

Stupid Eva Mendez!

I love you and I think you are so freaking hot.