My husband's "company" was recently bought by some rich folks. Some very rich folks. We're talking movie star/Montgomery Burns (eeexcellent) rich. A house with over 20,000 square feet of space, multiple pools, homes in at least three other cities, a personal chef, and they're currently vacationing in Europe. So, rich.
Steve has been telling me lots about them lately, and I can't help but think, "Who would I have to kill to have even a fraction of that?"
Don't get me wrong. I'm generally pretty happy with the life we have. No, we don't own a home, but we rent a pretty nice one for a pretty decent price. We have a new-ish car (since I totalled the other one), and we have a car that's paid off ('nuff said). We have enough money for rent, food, utilities, bills, and occasionally we can go out and do fun things. Every once in a while, we can even put a little away into savings.
But sometimes I wonder what it would feel like to be able to give some of that wealth to my daughter. I have no concept of what it must be like to be a kid in a family like that. I would love to be able to put money aside so that Bean would never have to worry about college. I would love to be able to take a yearly vacation with my family. Having a cleaning crew come in once a week would rock my world!
Today, as Steve was leaving for work, he said, "Well, I'm going to work... to make my rich boss a little richer." It wasn't in a begrudging tone, he doesn't hate on these people for being wealthy. It was in a tone that I use all the time. That we're resigned to the fact that it won't ever be even remotely like that for us. That most of the working class in the world are just a bunch of pack mules in the scheme to make the upper class a little richer every day.
Friday, June 8, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
My mind spins a bit when I think about this issue. I've been poor my whole life. Then I got to be student-poor while hubby was at graduate school. And now? Six figure income.
What the heck?!
I'm not complaining. But I feel kind of lost. I don't feel entitled to it, you know? We're not rich, but we're comfortable. So we try to make other people more comfortable too. And that feels good. That makes us feel rich. =)
Thanks for the thought-provoking post!
I feel the same too. Oh and my daughter's nickname is "Bean"! :)
Dr.John sent me today.
Have a nice weekend!
The husband and I had a bit of a late start in life and getting on the money train. (Both married before, no kids .. but a decade of wasted time.)
We're kind of poor now, but that is okay. We're happy and there are eternal treasures that money and fame can never buy.
-Margie
(I was sent here to visit by an eternally rich Doctor who lives in a Fortress filled with many treasures. The best of treasures that arrived this weekend to spend a week with him. His grandchildren.)
I'm kind of like Kimberly. I've been poor my whole life and now I'm not really poor and it's just like, What the crap? You know?
Crazy.
Can I join Kimberly and That Chick's club? ;)
I'm with you, though--always had sufficient money growing up, but never extra. Basically have sufficient money now, but not a lot of extra. We're comfortable, though, which feels sort of like rich after five or six years of the poor college student pre-real-job lifestyle. I can't imagine what it would feel like to make six figures (my husband and I together don't come even close, and he's an engineer), let alone what it would like to have a 5-figure house area!
*HUG*
Just think - if you were rich, your daughter could grow up to have all the advantages of Paris Hilton!
Seriously? I'm not so sure that the rich do their kids many favours.
Post a Comment