Visit the Meatout 2005 Website!

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Uncomfortable

So, at my evening job, I work with this girl. She's 21, she's funny, we get along really well. And most of the time she's pretty great.

But she hates kids. I mean, she hates them. She gets freaked out by carrying the high chairs or cleaning them off. In her defense, cleaning those things is pretty freaking disgusting. Mashed food in the straps. *gag* But she's really visibly freaked out by children. The other day, we had clean day at the pub (which, by the way, is also disgusting. Did you know people can spill beer over ten feet up on the wall? Yeah.), and one of the managers brought her 4 year-old. This girl kept moving away from this little kid like she was diseased. She also has a shirt with a little boy and girl on it that reads "I hate children".

You know what? She's 100% entitled to her feelings and opinions. That's fine. That's one less hungry mouth to feed in the world, one less consumer gobbling up resources like it's an Olympic sport, since she won't be creating any new life. And I get that some people just don't like children. I don't like all children. That's totally fine and reasonable.

But it makes me really uncomfortable when she's so vocal about her hatred for children. She even made a comment once about my (very polite, respectful, clean and well-behaved) child. For example, it would be like someone going on and on to my friend about how much they can't stand Asian people when my friend happens to be married to an Asian man. It's offensive.

So instead of putting on my big girl panties and saying just that, saying, "You're being offensive. Cut it out, man", I make sure that all the families with small children are seated in her section of the pub.

2 comments:

Brown Eyed Girl said...

I would seat them there too.

It's ok to have an opinion...but man....when it comes to SERVICING people..that's you J-O-B. It comes with the territory.

Don't have any of your own..fine.

And how could anyone not love your adorable girl!

Gerbil said...

This? Is one of the gazillion reasons I completely heart you to pieces.